Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Alexis's 2012 mix
1. Sisters of Mercy - Walk Away - Weirdly enough, I never listened to SoM much before this year. I had heard them many times, but never listened on my own. A goth classic.
2. Merchandise - In Nightmare Room - I'd describe Merchandise as kind of a showgaze blend of New Order and The Smiths. This track is from the Children of Desire LP, which I recommend listening to the whole way through rather than to the songs separately.
3. Rat Columns - I Wonder - Dark, noisy pop from SF
4. Siamese Twins - In a Box - Female fronted moody pop, kind of reminds me of The Cure.
5. Anasazi - Nuclear Paradise - I missed these guys open for the Mob and forgot to check them out afterwards, but a friend randomly gave me a demo months later. Dark punk? Death rock? More punk than darkwave. Something like that. From NYC, so hopefully I'll get to see them soon!
6. Sickoids - My Curse
7. Replica - You can't stop the Weather
8. No Statik - Sigh of Relief
These three make the list more for their live shows. The Replica/No Statik show this summer was one of the best shows I went to all year. Up the punx.
9. Erasure - Hideaway - We (read: my mom) had a dubbed copy of Two Ring Circus that we played at least a million times when I was a kid, but I have no recollection of this song from then. I guess we only had as much of the album as could fit on one side of a tape. As one Amazon reviewer said, "If this CD sounds dated at all, I am blind to it." He is completely wrong. There is probably nothing more dated than Erasure remixes. But still a great album.
10. Brandy & Monica - The Boy Is Mine - I had this in my head for about three weeks straight. So it's on my list.