Jen Ghola here. It feels like I've been working on this mix for a year. It really is hard to get down to around 10 songs. I eventually just decided to put up 11 that have had super heavy rotation for me this year. It's (hip) poppy and dancey and fun. If you're into that sorta thing. And you know you are.
1. "Beast Mode" B.o.B. (2010): Ok, I think this guy had some big hit, I'm looking it up now, "Airplanes?" I don't know. So I was shocked when I first listened to this song. I think I had him categorized in my mind with things like the Black Eyed Peas. But this is good. Real good, I think. "Talkin' all sideways with they eyes glazed."
2. "Dancing on My Own" Robyn (2010): I've been all about the dance music this year and this is the perfect dance song. To me it's less a song about lost love and more about feeling invisible and like a weirdo. "I'm all messed up / I'm so outta line."
3. "Soy Raka" Los Rakas (2010): "Turfin." This song reminds me of Philadelphia for no particular reason so I like it for that.
4. "All Talk" KiD CuDi ft. Chip Tha Ripper (& Christian Bale) (2010): I had a long internal dialogue with myself about whether or not to include a CuDi song because I sincerely believe that I am the only person who actually likes KiD CuDi (see also Kanye West). Eventually I decided on this track even though "All Summer" was my actual summer jam. "All Summer" was also a fucking Converse ad so I went with "All Talk" in the end. "Over here we ain't half-steppin."
5. "POWER" Kanye West ft. Dwele (2010): I'm kinda working on a thesis about Kanye West. It's mostly in my head at this point but I'm working on it. But so are a lot of people, I bet. He's an interesting study and I'll admit it, I identify with him more than I'd like to. I <3 clapping along with this song. Actually, I may have more of an affinity for "Runaway," but I think this goes better here.
6. "Monster" Professor Green (Camo & Krooked Remix) (2010): Wikipedia claims this song was released in October but I'm pretty sure I've had it since May. It's like dubstep pop music. Ok. Just listened to the original un-remixed song and it's not so amazing. Only listen to this remix. "No one's gonna fuck with me, I'm a monster."
7. "Knock, Knock" Mac Miller (2010): Mac Miller is a kid from PGH, actually a kid from PGH who went to the high school up the street from me (like I have some connection to him from that!) who put out an awesome mixtape this summer (K.I.D.S.). I just watched the video and got more stoked about this kid. Check it out.
8. "Hello" Martin Solveig ft. Dragonette (2010): So. I had this update in my FB feed today:
Martin Solveig Today "Hello" has become my most popular video ever.
Over 6 million views on all channels... Thanks so much for this success which started here.
What? Is this true? Do all of you already know this song? Am I just wasting my time? Best.
9. "As We Enter" Nas & Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley (Tinie Tempah Remix) (2010): Since Tinie Tempah is still my favorite thing this year I'm including his remix (his verse is first, of course) of this song. I'm still kicking myself for not going to this show when in came through PGH. (Nas & Damian Marley actually came to PITTSBURGH!)
10. "Tha Kill" Donnis (2010): This use of La Roux's song is perfect. He manages to make it darker and angrier and bitter and fuck you. I totally feel you, Donnis. Haters.
11. "Pass Out" Tinie Tempah (2010): My song of the year. I am so in love with this song and I can't really explain why. London is killin it right now, that's all I know. Favorite lines: "I walk alone, cos I was born alone," and "Now I'm in here layin on my back sayin DJ won't you give me one more track!" #DISTURBINGLONDON !!!
And a 20 second bonus track!
Download here (Mediafire)
Thanks for listening and I hope to keep this going if everyone else is agreeable...
Find me on the facebooks "Jen Ghola" (friend me)
and at my blog: http://somethingoccurred.blogspot.com (follow me)